Sunday, April 9, 2023

WHAT IF?

 I inwardly groan when I hear people ponder "What if". Everyone always yearns for something different, sometimes without regard to consequences if the " what if " wish came true.

I don't like "what ifs". If I look back at my 75 years, there is not one thing I would do differently. I sat down once and thought about the choices I made. The first "what if" I stumbled across was when I was 19. In  CG Basic Training  when we were graduated, we were asked our top three requests for duty.

I put down Ice Breakers as my first choice. I don't remember the other two. But I wanted to be on an ice breaker to have an adventure, see the world, etc. Well I got an ocean going tug out of the third district. We ran search and rescue patrols in the Atlantic.


Because of that choice, (or rather the Coast Guard made for me), I made friends with my future ship mate and  Best Man for  my wedding. Ed introduced me to Cardinal Spellman's Service mans club. While going there one Thursday night, I met Regina,  with whom I immediately fell in love. Three months later we were engaged.

In the meantime (here is a what if again) I had an opportunity to go to Damage Control School. The curriculum was firefighting, welding, plumbing, masonry, fiberglass repair, etc.


Well Regina and I were married in January of 71. I went to college only to find out that majoring in history was a bad choice. Wound up working as an Operating Engineer (my DC training came in handy), A career in which I  spent 35 years.


It all started with me not getting that Ice Breaker. If I had been assigned to one, I wouldn't have met the love of my life. I woulnt have spent seven great years in Virginia. I wouldn't have had my three kids or three grandkids I have now. So I missed out on excitement and adventure, but I don't regret it one bit. My family is what I care about.

Below is a photo of the first what if that started me on my life's journey. Me and Walter Jones on the stern of the Cutter Tamaroa.









No comments: