Sunday, April 16, 2023

ELUSIVE SLEEP

 I have been tossing and turning since 4:30 this morning. It's driving me nuts. Over the years as an Operating Engineer I have worked all shifts around the clock. I even worked the dreaded swing shift for two years. That pretty much meant I worked everyone else's day off. 

After several years in the field I finally landed on days. But in order to commute to the City and get to work on time I was up at 4:30 a.m. every morning. 

After a couple of decades of that, my body just won't sleep longer than 6 hours. Even though I have been retired for 11 years now, no matter what time I go to bed, I awaken 6 hours later. 

Last night I was tired. I go to bed at 10:30. Sure enough, I'm awake at 4:30. And mind you this is using a CPAP machine because I have sleep apnea.

I wonder how much sleep people with regular 9 to 5 jobs get? Oh and even before this job, I was in the military. On board a cutter, we stood watches 4 on, 8 off plus turned to ships work. 

So pretty much all my life, I have been subject to weird sleep patterns. A couple of times, I slept until 9 a.m. but guess what, I went to bed at 3 a.m.!

Can't win😴




No comments: