Sunday, April 2, 2023

Sentimental mood today

 I have been thinking a lot about Regina today. She passed away almost 4 years ago. But as the grief counselor said, "think good thoughts". So here goes. For people of different religions and different political views, we were together 50 years counting our engagement.


She had never been to Virginia. After I was discharged from the Coast Guard, I went to Roanoke College in  southwest Virginia. While there she learned how to use a loom, stitch A quilt and became very good with needle point. When I had summer jobs with the National Park Service at Booker T  Washington National Monument, She even volunteered to do living history presentations dressed in period costume churn butter and make lye soap......and she put up with me and my friends with our obsession with Civil War history.


She had never been to Maine before. My family had roots in Maine and she grew to love it. There are Maine/nautical needle points all over the house. She loved the ocean and could stitch for hours listening to the waves crash on the rocks. We went to the Boothbay Region  as often as we could.


One of the things we did was go to Mystic Connecticut every year. She would attend a stitching retreat and learn new stitches or techniques or projects. While she did that I would wander around Olde Mystic Village or visit the aquarium.


Then there was the Bavarian Manor Inn in upstate New York near Cairo. It was a nice relaxing inn with a German style restaurant. Boy did she love their potato pancakes. The inn has a beautiful wrap around porch. Regina would gather all her stitching paraphernalia assisted by me and stitch all day moving with the suns arc across the sky. When we weren't on the porch, we were antiquing. There were several old antique places and true to her nature, she was always looking for Christmas gifts for Angela, Judi or Janet.


And don't laugh; but when I get in these moods, I like to watch Hallmark Channel rom-coms. It helps.


I guess you could say we had a good run, three kids and three grandkids later. Great times, she was my person.

No comments: