Friday, September 13, 2013

Rockland Civil War Round Table kicks off another Season

This Wednesday, the Rockland County Civil War Round Table started its meetings again after Summer Recess. Our guest lecturer, Jay Jorgensen, discussed the role of the 5th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry at the Battle of Shiloh. It was interesting; but, what made it doubly so, was that I visited the battlefield about 15 years ago. Most of it is preserved and in pristine condition, so it was easy to identify with the presenter's commentary.

On a related note, I was presented with a plaque from the Round Table for my efforts within the Civil War community in 1998. It had hung on the wall by my desk. However, I lost track of it when I was RIFFED. Just recently, I tore through the boxes that had been mailed to me and found it wrapped up in the third box I opened, whew! I would have been annoyed if it had disappeared because it was a nice gesture on the part of my fellow Civil War peers.


I'm glad the Round Table season has started up again, it is nice to be amongst those who "still hear the guns". If anyone is local to Rockland County New York, our meetings are at the American Legion Hall in Pearl River on the first Wednesday of each month. The meeting starts at 7:30 PM and is ably hosted by our President Paul R. Martin.

No comments: