Monday, July 8, 2013

Tracing the Family Roots Part 2

Ever since the bug bit me again a few weeks back, I've been spending a lot of time on Facebook and Ancestry.com, Find a Grave.com, etc. I've actually made contact with some cousins in California and in the midwest. My sister and I are taking the family tree I orignally did on Ancestry.com and making some adjustments as we have discovered some minor errors and are making corrections.

Ancestry.com does a couple of things that help you. When you find a document that you believe may be related to an ancestor, but you're not quite sure, you can place it in what they call a shoe box where it will lay until you can confirm whether or not it really is from one of your ancestors. The other thing they do is scan their library and if they spot a name that looks like it should go to you, they place a "hint" icon by that persons name. You look up the hint and see if it matches your ancestor. 

So far it has worked very well for me. Presently, we are puzzling over one individual who was my paternal grandfather's second wife.Her name was Emlee. I met one of  Emlee's grand daughters about 49 years ago and just recently reconnected with her. Hope she can tell me a little more about Emlee. She sounds like she was a fascinating person.

.........and I just found out that one of my cousins with whom we used to play a lot as youngsters up in Maine has been missing for a number of years. Hope he is ok, but he lived along the Mexican Border!

The hunt continues..............

No comments: