Saturday, June 28, 2008

This is the "Peach Orchard," at Gettysburg, Pa. It was here that the 141st Pennsylvania fought valiantly for a good part of the afternoon on July 2, 1863. A Civil War personality that I have connected with was badly wounded in the left leg here. The gentleman's name was Caspar Tyler. I first became interested in Tyler when I was researching local Civil War regiments at the Historical Society. They asked me to read a diary and see if I could identify the writer. After a few weeks I did using several clues found in the diary.

Tyler's diary entries so intrigued me that I decided to pursue a history of his life which eventually was published in the Journal South of the Mountains. It was such a rewarding experience that I used Tyler as a basis for a presentation I did on tracing one's CivIl War ancestor. The lecture has been very well received over the years and is one of the highlights of my attempt to stay connected to the history of this country.

No comments: