Friday, February 14, 2014

Snow, More Snow and Birds!

We've had about 6 snow storms in 6 weeks, the last three pretty close together. I'm a bit nervous because there is about 2 feet of snow in the back yard so I am wondering about the pressure/stress on the flat roof of my house. Well, almost flat, it is about a 4 inch pitch. The roof is fairly new. We stripped down to the rafters (air) about 6 years ago and put new plywood and roofing membrane down. 

In the course of worrying about all this snow, I discovered something fun and interesting. We put a bird feeder up. I'm not an expert but we have identified Juncos, a female Cardinal, a Mourning Dove, sparrows, Chick-a-dees and a Tufted Titmouse. They are hilarious to watch. The drained the seed from the feeder pretty quick. At one point we had 40-50- birds flitting about. When it got low, a few of them actually perched on the Feeder arm as if to say "It's time for a refill."  The snow was so deep, I could barely get the back door open, but finally managed it and we refilled the feeder, they waited a bit then came back to feast some more. We have a bird book in the house somewhere, I'll have to find it and put it by the back window.

No comments: