Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Craziest Thing you ever ate was.............?


I thought about this when the other day, I was eating lunch with a friend in Manhattan. I had ordered a Tuna steak figuring I'd eat healthy. There was this green gunk on the top that I couldn't identify so I just took it to be a garnish of some sort. I put a spoonful of it in my mouth and immediately ceased to breathe. The Pain was instant and horrible, my breathing passages all swelled up, sweat literally popped out of the top of my head. I downed a nearby glass of wine in one swallow.


After I recovered, I asked the waiter what the heck it was. He had a good laugh and told me it was Wasabe Mustard.....and people actually like this stuff? You've got to be kidding. But then again you're talking to a guy who thinks Nick Tahou's garbage plate is an epicurean delight :-)


When my son, Sean, went to Rochester Institute of Technology, he invited me to try one. And yes it was quite a dish. A Garbage plate consists of a large bed of macaroni salad and homefries upon which is laid either hamburgers, cheeseburgers or hotdogs. On top of that there resides onions, ketchup, hot sauce or A-1 sauce. You can also have refried beans as a side. I know, I know...It does sound awful, but it actually did taste pretty good. The one I had was topped with two cheese burgers. So if you are in the Rochester area starve yourself for the day and go there in the evening. You will have a meal you'll never forget. They even have a website http://www.garbageplate.com/ I've attached a photo for you curious folk.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Yeah, don't forget you also took your vegetarian daughter there... Sean said "I don't know what Ange can eat there..." and I said "I'll have a salad- if they have burgers, they must have raw veggies" and Sean said "I don't know..." To my absolute horror it turned out they in fact did NOT have any fresh veggies. The final blow was when I asked for a grilled cheese that was made in a pan, not on their nasty greasy grill, and one guy behind the counter turned to the other and said "Do we have any pans?" Unreal...